This is not an easy decision to come to, but for now, it works for us. Here are some random thoughts in (tastelessly enough) cloud formation that informed the Greater Abiko Co-Prosperity Sphere Disaster Cabinet's thinking:
Aftershocks have abated to almost none today. There is no radiation risk to us at the moment. We have less than half a tank of petrol. This is our home. We have worked hard to become part of the community. If the reactors are cooled and sealed successfully, hurrah! If the reactors are not and blow, well, the results will be toxic for months, so what's the hurry? We couldn't live with ourselves if we cut and ran. We could take a trip on public transport away from here, but where to and for how long? How safe would we really be on the road away from the bosom of Abiko? We could send the little ones to the UK for a bit, but how could we split the family up? If we all went to the UK, how long could we manage with no income? It would be worse to be helpless abroad and watch suffering here How could we sentence Our Mother-in-Law to a diet of Hob Nobs and chip butties for the rest of her natural life?
There may be a time when we have to cut and run. And if we have to we will not hesitate, but for us, for now, this is not the time.
Ask us again tomorrow.