Some exciting notes on the exciting race between Team Hoshino and Sakamaki the 40-year-old (who is going to lose) for Abiko mayor. OK, so there isn't a lot of fear and loathing, but there seem to be some clear themes developing:
1. Sakamaki is 40 years old. Even Our Man knows this, because that's pretty much all Sakamaki's campaign van shouts all day long. Those not familiar with how Japanese elections work (don't worry, you're in good company here) may not know that pretty much all candidates do is hire white-gloved noisy bastards to drive around in Suzuki vans shouting their candidate's name on the streets (hertofore to be referred to as "campaigning"). Didn't notice any vans about shouting Hoshino's rank and serial number. Maybe because they don't have to.
2. Hoshino printed a full page pullout ad in local editions of the Yomiuri Shimbun (Pravda's uglier sister) thanking his "supporters" (the New Komeito power brokers who run the Abiko council and, incidentally, also did Our Man's front room floor):
3. But there are elements of a lively race. Challenger Sakamaki rides a bicycle. In fact, he has a whole team of florescent riders to spread the gospel. Here they are from Wednesday morning as Our Man was on a dairy and wheat products reconnaissance mission:
4. Not exactly a mass rally. No idea what he was on about, and Our Woman lost interest about five seconds in. Typical. But Our Man posts it here just so you can see and hear what Our Man has to go through for you lot.
5. Despite rumours to the contrary, both candidates have all their own hair.