Brilliant. Not only is Hiroshima and Nagasaki bidding for the Olympics in 2020 (cf. haven't they suffered enough?) but so is Tokyo under completely sane Mayor Shintaro Ishihara according to here. (Secret handshake to tokyorich). The Japanese Olympic Committee No. 2 remarked: "It is truly great."
Our Man remarked: "It's truly a pile of Olympic-sized horseshit".
Let's recap, shall we sports lovers, the top 10 things Tokyo's bid has got going for it:
10. Er, it's hugely popular with folk enamoured with 12-year-old girls chucking ribbons about.
9. Tokyo knows how to mix concrete.
8. There are hundreds of yakuza who need the cash flow.
7. There just isn't enough women's volleyball and figure skating on Japanese TV.
6. Travel and accommodation costs are so high in Tokyo, it'll keep out athletes from those pesky poor countries good at winning things (China, Ethiopia, USA etc).
5. Tokyo has never held it before. Honest.
4. Who can forget the lovable 2002 World Cup mascots from Japan?
3. Er, Tokyo knows noodles!
2. And raw fish.
1. Because please, please, pretty please, Tokyo so needs it cause we are the world, we are the melting pot of, er, the Greater Kanto region, we have sexed up cartoon pop stars and karaoke and robots and concrete beaches and we love nature, we have four seasons, and we have no danger of being consumed by a massive earthquake anytime soon. We love the environment. And world peace. And concrete.
Pic lifted from AltJapan here, which has more examples of the wit and wisdom of the mayor who doesn't know the meaning of pack it in. Now.