So, how to understand the latest kerfuffle with the Norks? Our Man has little memory of dealing with throwbacks from the Stalinist era, having left secondary school two decades ago, but he knows an anti-social pain in the arse Neighbour From Hell when he sees one. Forget all the ideological military analyses of who is next in line to succeed Dear Leader Kim Jong Il, whether the generals or the foreign policy drones are calling the shots, or indeed whether wet-behind-the-ears Obama has anyone in place to do any diplomatting (by the way, may Our Man state for the record, he couldn't give a monkey's who the US ambassador to Japan is. It's about as interesting as who is the latest bimbo to join Morning Musume. Actually, a lot less interesting).
Where was Our Man? Oh yeah... What we're dealing with here is not a Stalinist state, but a bunch of Hell's Angels who've moved in to the neighbourhood. Allow Our Man to fire off a few bullet points:
- The noise from their party was bad enough, but now they are lobbing bricks across the road. Fortunately, they've missed the neighbours' windows so far.
- They can only feed themselves from free take-outs from the Chinese restaurant round the corner.
- If we go round and complain about their behaviour, they'll only target our kids.
- The law's too scared to do anything about it.
What is to be done?
- Cut off their welfare cheques (they might get shootin' mad).
- Evict 'em (they might get shootin' mad).
- Be nice to 'em (they still might get shootin' mad).
- Move house
Sometimes, there just ain't any good options.
Pic lifted from here.