Our Man made it back in one piece from the 2009 Tokyo bloggers' ball held in that hotbed of youthful abandon, Shibuya, though with a slightly sore head. Our Man had a chance to listen to some learned political gossip and even picked up some technical jargon (he learnt that a Twitter is not the same as a twitcher). How would you explain the night if you had to give a powerpoint demonstration? Why, like this:
- Some real smart cookies were there. You could have had a boat race up the Edogawa with the number of Ivy League-Oxbridge grads in the room.
- You could fit the great and the good (and the ugly) of the Japan English blogging world in one pub. And what a pub it was - the Pink Cow. Check it out here.
- Our Man had a sore neck (literally) from looking up to (literally) some of the folk there. If a boat race wasn't on, we could have made quite a formidable basketball team. Tokyo bloggers are tall folk (literally).
- Our Man didn't get to talk to everyone there, but he did bump into a couple of Economist journos, a news editor who blogs about cats, and the Malaysian foreign minister (Our Man thinks, his memory is getting a bit foggy).
- Our Man had great pleasure in buying young master Tobias Harris a bottle of Kirin, and had a delightful chat with Jun Okumura, and would have bought him a glass of wine, had he needed any more of the truth serum.
Many thanks to Ken of Trans-Pacific Radio for pulling it all together. The highlight for Our Man? He got a hug off Traci, proprietoress extraordinariness of the Pink Cow.