Amid the gloom (Official Data and 6 More Indicators Say Japan Recession is Worse Than Thought) and particular worries for foreigners in Japan (Are You Prepared?), it's easy to get despondent. But Our Man will not go quietly into the night; when the times get tough, the tough get going, Caribbean Queen. Er, that is, it's time for a pep talk. Here's Our Man's Top 10* reasons to be cheerful:
- It really does look like Japan is ready to ditch the LDP for the DPJ or just about anyone else.
- Thanks to the downturn, we are unlikely to see any more of the Bush babies in the White House. Dear God, please.
- The price of oil has gone down, wiping the smile off the faces of Putin and pals.
- The legacy of Thatcher, Reagan and their bastard love children Koizumi, Blair and Merkel has to be reappraised downward. Remember, statesmen's stock can go down as well as up in value.
- In a recession, there are fewer adverts ruining the enjoyment of your favourite telly programmes. Or newspapers. Or anything.
* In the interests of cost-cutting, this list has been downsized. But there is a free picture of Japan's man of the moment, Prime Minister Taro Aso.